Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Yellow Sunflowers vs The Blue Thunder



This past weekend, my 5-year-old daughter, Ava had her first soccer game of the season. I got to be one of the coaches, which pretty much meant that I yell "Don't touch the ball!" and "Kick and run!" over and over again. The teams got to pick their names and our team came up with "The Yellow Sunflowers." Pretty fierce and intimidating, I know. They played with heart and emotion, I only say that because at any given time during this game there was a player crying for one reason or another! In the end The Blue Thunder shut us out, 5-0. When I got these photos on my computer I couldn't help but laugh at what I had captured. I think these really show what happens when you combine soccer and 5-year-olds! I thought it was also fun to compare these shots to the photos I shot of the Real Salt Lake game a few weeks ago.

So here are the photos, with a little bit of commentary on a few of them!


Karate chopping your own teammate is the way to get things done in this game!


This was their team's equivalent of Pele going down to score on us again...


We call this one "the wall." No one can get past it, not even ourselves.


Well, at least he was running!


She still got to the ball despite being boxed out.



You don't mess with this girl.



Ava was punished the ball all morning!



Since there aren't any referee's, tripping is the perfect defensive strategy.


"Don't worry, I'll get that for you."


Here's Ava out running a boy, a trend I hope that will continue into her teenage years...


"Dont touch the ball." "Kick and run. Kick and run."




Here's Pele again, tackling one of our players...


Right after Ava gave him the elbow. Again, a trend I hope that continues into the teenage years.





These kids had a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season! I'm sure I'll be posting more in the future! Go Sunflowers!!! (I had to try, it just doesn't have the intimidation factor I was hoping for.)


2 comments:

njcrofts said...

I have to admit, that was incredibly entertaining. I used to ref tiny kind soccer and it was the best!

Adhis said...

The names for kids' soccer teams always crack me up. One of my nieces was on a girls' team where they could not decide between rainbows and butterflies. Naturally, they went with "The Rainbow Butterflies".