Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Rolleicord






I know what you're thinking. Just when Luke's blog couldn't get any more random, he goes and does something like this. Well, these were my first attempts at studio still life shots. I am learning a lot, but I wouldn't say that this is my favorite thing in the world to do. I much prefer being out in the action somewhere. The positive side is that I have a few hours a week in the studio to myself to listen to talk radio or watch old BYU football games on byutv.org.

These were cool cameras though, right? I love these cameras. I collect old cameras and I've had these two for about a two years or so.


And finally, if you really want to be geeky with me, here's how I set up these shots.

One light source, Profoto head with a small softbox. A black spray painted piece of metal, to give a little reflection (I placed the camera on a mirror for the second photo above), a black piece of foam board for the background, and then two small pieces of thin poster board with mylar taped on to give a fill in the shadows.

It's amazing how much work goes into one shot in still life.


1 comment:

Alan said...

Setup shots are awesome.