Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Green Nike Shoes

A few weeks ago I needed a subject to shoot for a still life assignment and I couldn't think of anything interesting. It was killing me! I'm not really into still life in the first place, but I'm taking it as one of my last classes just so I can learn techniques of lighting products in case I ever need that in the future. Anyway, I went to Nordstrom Rack looking for a new pair of running shoes and found these. $39.95 and bright green. As soon as I saw them, I knew I could use them for my assignment. This is what happened.




This was the setup. I knew that I wanted a green color background, so instead of going through the hassle of trying to get a similar color background, I shot it against white, and added the green color in Photoshop. It was actually very easy. I used two lights to light up my background and light up the bottom of the shoe, and one soft box to cover the rest of the shoe. As you can see from where the soft box is situated, there wasn't as much light on the tongue of the shoe, so I put up a big piece of foam core on the opposite side to fill in the darker parts of the shoe.

Not a very complicated shot to execute. Sometimes, shooting products can be very simple and easy and look good, but other times it can be a small nightmare!


No comments: