Friday, September 9, 2011

BYU Education Week 2011 - Provo, Utah


A couple of weeks ago I covered BYU's Education Week. I didn't know this, but each year, they expect over 20,000 visitors to the campus in a week! Its the largest continuing education conference in the world! Enough nerd talk. Needless to say, a lot of people show up and these are some of my favorite images from the week.


Brad Wilcox speaking to youth. Based on the three images below, you would have thought it was comedy hour. This was the first lecture I went to all week, and probably my favorite. Wilcox has an amazing way with words, and the ability to connect with youth.





Can I just tell you why I love my camera and why I love Lightroom 3? Here's why. Here were my camera settings for this b/w image.
f/2.8 - 1/125 of a second - ISO 6400! (Nikon D700 with a 70-200 f2.8 lens)

The ISO is amazing. So yeah, there was grain, but then processed through Lightroom 3, and the new noise reduction, the grain goes away!





Um, the Caffeine Free Diet Coke is the other way, sir.



Marvin Goldstein
I only had one shot at this pic. I snuck my way backstage in the DeJong Concert hall and poked my long lens through the curtains. Got the shot. I kind of felt like a sniper.


Shooting lecturers can, and is, very boring. It's just a talking head! Sometimes its pretty easy, like 2 shots to get the safe shot, and other times it incredibly difficult. After I get my safe shot, I try to get something different. I'll usually try to get a good angle, and then just hold the camera up to my face and wait. Wait for something. Hands raising, a smile, a mean look, anything. That's what I was doing with this woman, until she cracked a small joke and pulled this look.





This was day 2 and he already had enough!

I joke about Education Week, but it was very nice to attend. I really enjoyed being able to jump from one lecture to another, shoot what I needed, and then just listen.


No comments: